First Church is an active group of believers rooted and grounded in the historic Christian faith. We are a United Methodist congregation in connection with the Worldwide United Methodist Church, which began in 1784 in America. Our founder John Wesley was an Anglican priest who began The Methodist movement to seek to reform the Church of England. Many protestant churches trace their beginnings to the Methodist church.
As United Methodist Christians, we believe:
- The Holy Bible, both Old and New Testaments, as the absolute true Word of God, which is our standard for faith and Christian living.
- In the Trinity; God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit; three persons in One.
- Though mankind was originally created “good,” we’ve all been influenced by a distinct separation from God through our individual and corporate sin.
- Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the Son of the One True God and Son of Mankind. He was born of a virgin named Mary in the first Century AD, fully God and fully man.
- Jesus lived a perfect life without sin and as such became the only true sacrifice for the sins of the world (past, present and future), including our own.
- Jesus literally died, was buried, and was physically raised on the third day. He sits at the right hand of God Almighty today.
- Each individual must accept the free gift of salvation available to all in Jesus, to receive forgiveness for sin and the promise of eternal life.
- In the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in each individual believer for power, wisdom, life transformation, and effective ministry.
- The local church is the Body of Christ and God’s strategy to reach the world for Christ.
- In the anticipated Second Coming of Jesus Christ to this earth to establish His new Kingdom.
How We Do Theology...
United Methodists rely on four guideposts to discern truth concerning issues of theology. These are often referred to as the “Wesley Quadrilateral,” named after our founder, John Wesley:
1. Scripture – This is our primary source of truth. What does the Bible say?
2. Tradition – What has the worldwide Church taught over time?
3. Reason – What do godly critical thinkers/leaders believe?
4. Experience – How has God revealed himself to me in my life?
Our Mission – Vision – Process (MVP)...
After a full year of praying, reading, discussing, sharing and discerning God's will, we as the First Church staff and church family, adopted the following as the new Mission-Vision-Process for First Church:
MISSION: First Church exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world! (Matthew 28:19-20)
VISION: To be disciples who are…
Connecting with God (worship/prayer)
Growing in Faith (small groups/personal devotion)
Serving with Love (regular ministry teams/missions)
1. Worshipping God weekly. (Hebrews 10:25)
2. Growing in our faith regularly. (Acts 2:42)
3. Developing spiritual maturity daily. (Mark 1:35)
4. Serving others willingly. (Ephesians 6:7)
5. Sharing our faith passionately. (Philemon 1:6)